When I came back to the society in August, I was eager to clothe and arm myself as soon as possible, not to mention I had a lot of pent up creative energy. My return also coincided with the passing of my now late grandma, who happened to be an avid seamstress. It was bittersweet sorting through her mountains of fabric, but it makes my heart happy to bring a bit of my grandma into the society that I love so much. I know it would make her happy, too.
Moral of the story, I have a pile of fabrics to have fun with. I busted out my first kit – tunic, pants, and a hood – in only a week.
I made the tunic in House Valkyrie colors, and I mostly love how it turned out.
My apologies for the blurry picture, but here she is in all her glory. The purple is a pretty cheap cotton blend, and I used bias tape for the trim. I tried cutting bias tape triangles for the tricky corners, and it’s not something I’ll be doing it again. The finished trim is kind of messy.
Overall, I love this tunic and it has become my primary fighting tunic. It is light, comfortable, well- fitted, and it looks cool. I’m pleased with hope the arm holes turned out, though the neck hole could’ve been narrower. I struggle with neck holes. Something I’ll keep in mind for the future. As always, I used my favorite pointed tails, shorter in the front and longer in the back, which just looks cool. Eventually, I will embroider the symbol for House Valkyries on the chest, but it’s low on the project priority list right now.
Here it is with the drawstring pants I made with more fabric from my grandma’s collection. I’ll talk about those in a later post.
Thank you for reading! As always, feel free to hit me up with questions, comments, and requests. Until next time, have fun!